Butler Features and Quotas
Butler is included with paid Trello accounts at no additional cost, subject to usage quotas and other limits. Free Trello accounts also include a small taste of Butler with limited functionality. If you're not familiar with Butler's functionality, start here: An Introduction to Butler.
Butler is built into every Trello board, and can be accessed from the Butler button in the top right corner or in the board menu. Butler is not considered a Power-Up and therefore does not count towards the one Power-Up per-board limit for free accounts.
You can find information about upgrading your Trello account in our Pricing page.
|Number of commands||Limited to 1 card button, 1 board button per board, and 1 rule overall.||Up to storage limits.||Up to storage limits.||Up to storage limits.|
|Basic actions (due dates, checklists, moving cards, etc.)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Custom field actions||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
- The Personal* column applies to Trello Gold users, and also to Business Class and Enterprise users when working on a board outside their paid Trello team(s).
- Command Administration: Business Class or Enterprise administrators can disable commands on behalf of other users.
- Custom field actions means the ability to set and modify the values of custom fields with a Butler command. The Custom Fields power-up needs to be enabled separately for this to work.
- Email notifications means the ability to send a custom email notification from within a Butler command.
- HTTP requests means the ability to issue HTTP request to an external service from within a Butler command.
|Command runs per month||50||200||1,000 per team + 200 per user, capped at 6,000||Unlimited|
|Operations per month*||500||2,000||5,000 per user, capped at 125,000||10,000 per user|
|Quota pooling||N/A||N/A||Pooled for all team members (on team boards).||Pooled across all enterprise members (on enterprise boards).|
- Butler uses quotas to ensure fair usage and prevent abuse.
- The main quota is based on command runs, that is, the number of times your commands run on your behalf in a given month.
- Every press of a button, triggering of a rule, or scheduled command execution counts as a command run.
- Each paid user has a personal quota, which applies to boards outside their Business Class team or Enterprise organization.
- Business Class team and Enterprise organizations have a pooled organization quota. This quota is shared by all the users in the organization on boards that are part of the organization.
- Quotas reset on the first day of every month at midnight GMT (Greenwich Mean Time).
- Aside from the command runs quota, Butler also enforces an operations quota. This is set high enough that you don't generally need to worry about it if you're within your command run quota.
- The way operations are counted is: Each command run may perform one or more operations on your behalf. For example, a command may set a label and a due date on a card, and that counts as two operations every time it runs. Most actions consume one operation, but some actions, like sorting a list, may require multiple operations.
In order to protect our systems and prevent abuse, other limits apply, including: a rate limit on the maximum number of command runs per minute, a limit on the number of cards a single command run will affect, a limit on the total number of actions and operations performed by a single command run, and others. We reserve the right to change these limits at any time without notice in order to improve the performance of the system.