Changing permissions on a board
We're going through some changes! Trello Teams are now Workspaces. Soon, all boards will be in a Workspace. You might see us mention Teams in a few places as we're going through these changes. Thanks for your patience!
Set the visibility and permissions of features by going to the menu on the right side of the board, then clicking 'More' then 'Settings'. Permissions and options will vary per user.
Board admins have a different set of permissions on a board. Only a board admin can remove users and change the commenting permissions, for instance.
Types of Trello Users
When it comes to permissions on a board, there are different types of Trello users:
- Invited Members - An invited user is someone who has been invited to a board but hasn't yet confirmed their account. Their user icon will appear to be grayed out in the Members area of the board.
- Board Members - A 'Normal' member is simply a member of a board. Normal members can edit or add to the board without restrictions.
- Observers - An observer is a member with read-only access to a board. (Observers are only available to Workspaces with Trello Premium).
- Workspace Members - A Workspace member is someone who has been added as a member of that Workspace. They will be able to see boards that are Workspace visible. Workspace members appear in the Members tab for that Workspace.
- Guest - A normal member on the board. Guests are not members of the Workspace that the boards belong to.
- Board Admin - A board admin is a member of the board who can do anything on the board. Board admins are marked by the blue and white chevron in the bottom right corner of their avatar.
You can change who is allowed to comment on the cards on a board:
- Disabled - no one is allowed to comment.
- Members - Allow admins and normal members to comment. This is the default setting.
- Members and Observers - Allow admins, normal members, and observers to comment.
- Workspace members - Allow admins, normal members, observers, and Workspace members to comment.
- Public members - Allow any Trello member to comment. This option is only available for public boards.
You can change who is allowed to add members to a board:
- Admins - Allow only board admins to add and invite others.
- All Members - Allow members and board admins to add and invite others. This is the default setting.
NOTE: You can toggle the setting " Allow Workspace Members to Join," which will allow any Workspace member to join the board without being invited. To enable this, the board must belong to a Workspace and the board cannot be private.