Working with Command Libraries
When the number of your Butler commands grows, you may want to group similar commands together. To help with this, Butler lets you organize your commands into Command Libraries.
A Command Library is a group of commands that share the same tag. Command Libraries allow you to:
- Categorize commands so that they can be found easily by filtering
- Enable or disable groups of commands on the current board
- Share a group of commands with other users in your Workspace
Creating Command Libraries
To create a new library, simply add a tag to an existing command:
- Click the tag icon in the upper-left corner of your command
- Enter a tag name and then press Enter
To apply the tags you've created before to other Butler commands, click the tag icon, select the needed tag from the list of available command tags, and then press Enter.
Note: You can't set multiple tags for one command as a command can only belong to one library at a time. If you want to apply a different tag to the same command, duplicate the command and add the copy to another library.
Filtering commands by a library
You can view all commands that pertain to a particular Command Library via filtering them by a command tag. To filter commands:
- Open a particular command tab (Rules, Card Button, Board Button, Calendar, or Due Date) and select the filtering menu (All) in the upper-right corner of your command list
- Select a command tag
Additionally, you can also filter your commands to see only those that are Enabled or Disabled on the current board.
Managing Command Libraries
To work with more advanced library options, click the tags icon in the upper-right corner of your command list, next to the filter.
This will display a list of your Command Libraries as well as libraries that have been shared with you.
You can manage your commands by using the following:
- Rename the library: change the current library's name. This also allows you to:
- delete the library tag and remove it from all commands that have it. To do this, enter an empty name for your library.
- merge two libraries. To do this, rename your library to the same name as the library you want to merge it with.
- Enable all of this library's commands on this board: enable all commands in the library on the current board at once.
- Disable all of this library's commands on this board: disable all commands in the library on the current board at once.
Sharing Command Libraries
Note: You can only share Rules, Calendar commands, and Due Date Commands via Command Libraries. Currently, only users in the same Trello Business Class Workspace can see and use shared libraries.
To prevent confusion, Butler doesn't allow you to share a library with the same name as the one shared by other users. However, you can easily rename your library if you want to.
To share your library, go to Command Libraries and turn on the Shared toggle in the lower-right corner of your command.
For a Standard or Business Class Workspace, this will share the library with all Workspace members. For an Enterprise Workspace, this will share the library with every Enterprise member.
Note: Make sure that your commands don't contain any sensitive/confidential information and it's safe to share them.
If you remove Rules, Calendar, or Due Date commands, they will still be available for people you've shared your Command Library with until they update their Command Libraries by importing all commands from your shared library again.
Importing shared Command Libraries
Your Command Libraries also include the list of libraries that are shared with you. For each library, you can view its name and a person who has shared the library. To import a shared library into your command list, select Import all commands from the Shared library > Import.
Work with the imported Command Libraries
After you import a shared library, it will be displayed in your library list, including both information about your own copy of the library and about the source library. If the library is active in your command list, you'll be able to see how many of your commands are part of this library and how many of them are enabled on this board.
You can also use action buttons in the upper-right corner of the imported command to work with your own copy of the library—modifying the imported commands won't affect the source library.
If you click the Add/update all commands from the shared library icon, you will re-import the library:
- All new commands created by the library owner will be added to your library.
- All commands will be refreshed with their current versions of the library.
- Commands modified by the library owner will be updated in your copy of the library.
- Commands modified by you in your copy of the library will be overwritten by the current library version.
- Commands deleted by the library owner will be deleted from your library.
Please consider that you can't upload your commands to the imported library as the library is owned by a person who shared it. However, you can rename your local copy of the library, make modifications, and re-share the library under a different name.
- Can I add a card or board button to a library?
- Buttons cannot currently be part of libraries, although this is something we are planning to add in the future.
- Can I set multiple tags for one command?
- No. A command can currently only belong to one library at a time. You can duplicate the command and add the copy to another library.
- Who can see my shared libraries?
- Currently, only users in the same Trello Business Class Workspace can see and use your shared libraries.
- Can I upload a command to someone else's library?
- No, the library is owned by them. If you wish, you can rename your local copy of the library, make modifications, and re-share it under a different name.
- Can I share a library with the same name as one shared by someone else?
- To avoid confusion, we don't allow you to share a library with the same name as someone else, but it's easy to rename your library.