Creating cards by email
To get your email address for a board, log in to Trello in the browser and open the board you would like to create cards by email on. Open the Menu in the right sidebar and select "More," and then "Email-to-board settings". From here, you can select where on the board the new card will be created. You can click on the current list name ('None' in the below example) to change that to a different list.
You can also have your email address for that board emailed to you. Please note that the email address is unique for each board and board member. Also, comments must be enabled for the board in order to generate the email-to-board address.
The card will show up in the next few minutes after the email is sent.
When you email a card to Trello, you can immediately add attachments, labels, and members to the card, in addition to setting the title and description.
- The Subject of the email becomes the card's title.
- The Body of the email becomes the card's description.
- Attachments in the email will be added to the card.
- Labels: In the subject, add #labelname, #labelcolor, or #labelnumber
- If your label consists of two or more words, in the subject line either join the words or use underscores between the words. For example, if your label is named "To Do" in the subject line of your email either enter #ToDo or #To_Do for the label to render properly on your card.
- If you have multiple labels on a board with the same color or the same name, emailing a board with #color or #name will only add the first label with that color or name to the card.
- Members: In the subject, add @username. Members can also be added by putting @username in the body of the email on its own line. If you send an email to Trello and include other Trello users' email addresses as "to" or "CC" addresses, Trello will add them as members of the card as well.
Most emails with attachments will make it into Trello just fine. However, there is an overall email size limit (above 10MB) that will prevent cards from being created via email. If this happens, your mail server may send you a message that it was unable to send the email.
Email threads and duplicated cards
The first time a message is sent to the board email address, it will create a new card. If replying to the email the messages will be added to the original card as comments. This could happen when the board email address is added to a long email thread, and it is designed this way to prevent duplicated cards. Only replies to or forwards from the original email which created the card will result up in a comment being added to the card. To maintain the threaded comments in the card, be sure to forward the original email message or add the board email in the BCC field on your responses.
Email comments to card
Each card also has its own email– sending a note to this address will make your email show up as a comment. You can find a card's email under the "Share" button on the card back, in the bottom right corner.
Creating cards by email from our mobile apps
Please note this is currently not available. You'll have to log in to Trello on a web browser in order to get those email addresses.