Upgrading an Enterprise Workspace
Trello Enterprise supports adding multiple Workspaces to your single subscription, under one large umbrella, and offers a few ways for your company's Workspaces to get upgraded and added to your Enterprise.
On the Enterprise Dashboard, an Enterprise Admin can see Workspaces on their domain that aren't yet a part of the Enterprise, and add them:
Requesting a Workspace upgrade
Once a user is a member of an existing Enterprise Workspace, they can request that an Enterprise admin upgrade their other free or Business Class Workspaces. Once upgraded, the Workspace will have access to the Trello Enterprise features, and be under any security restrictions set by Enterprise administrators.
To request an upgrade, a Workspace admin can go to the Workspace settings page. Under "Add to Enterprise", the admin can click "Request." If the admin is a member of more than one Enterprise, then they can select the appropriate Enterprise from the drop-down menu.
Once requested, the request button will show a pending status and an option to cancel the request if it was made accidentally.
Handling user restrictions
If you request for a Workspace to join an Enterprise but the Workspace contains members that do not meet the security restrictions set by an Enterprise admin, those members will be deactivated when the Workspace is approved to join the Enterprise. These user restrictions are based on the domain of the email addresses associated with Workspace members’ Trello accounts.
Enterprise admins can restrict Workspace membership by:
- Managed members: Only members managed by the Enterprise are allowed on Workspaces within the Enterprise. See Managed Enterprise Accounts.
- Specific email domains: Enterprise admins can specify one or more email domains members are allowed to use with their Trello accounts in order to be on Workspaces within the Enterprise.
At the time of the Workspace upgrade request, you will receive a warning about any Workspace members that will be deactivated when the Workspace is approved into the Enterprise, along with the ability to see a list of the Workspace members.
If there are Workspace members who will be deactivated when the Workspace is added to the Enterprise that you want to remain on the Workspace, they must first make sure they have an email address with an approved domain associated with their Trello account. You can accomplish this in one of two ways:
- [Recommended] Deactivate the Workspace member from your Workspace, and then have them create a new Trello account using an email address on an approved domain (contact your Enterprise admin if you’re unsure of which domains are approved). Re-add the member to your Workspace using their new Trello account.
- Ask the Workspace member to add an email address from an approved domain to their existing Trello account. See Changing, Adding, or Removing an Email Address.
Approving an upgrade
An Enterprise admin ("super admin") can process requests by opening the Enterprise admin dashboard. From there, they can go to the “Pending” Workspaces tab:
For each Pending Workspace, Enterprise admins will be able to see:
- If approving the Workspace will add new billable members to your Enterprise
- If there are any members on the Workspace that don’t meet Enterprise security restrictions. These members will become deactivated from the Workspace upon approval, thus being unable to join the Enterprise.
To learn more about editing Workspace member restrictions for an Enterprise, see the “Workspace Membership Restrictions” section in Organization-Wide Permissions.