Upgrading an Enterprise Team
Once a user is a member of an existing Enterprise team, they can request that an Enterprise admin upgrade their free or Business Class team. Once upgraded, the team will have access to the Trello Enterprise features, and be under any security restrictions set by Enterprise administrators.
Requesting an upgrade
To request an upgrade, a team admin can go to the team settings page. Under "Add to Enterprise", the admin can click "Request." If the admin is a member of more than one Enterprise, then they can select the appropriate Enterprise from the drop-down menu.
Once requested, the request button will show a pending status and an option to cancel the request if it was made accidentally.
Handling user restrictions
If you request for a team to join an Enterprise but the team contains members that do not meet the security restrictions set by an Enterprise admin, those members will be deactivated when the team is approved to join the Enterprise. These user restrictions are based on the domain of the email addresses associated with team members’ Trello accounts.
Enterprise admins can restrict team membership by:
- Managed members: Only members managed by the Enterprise are allowed on teams within the Enterprise. See Managed Enterprise Accounts.
- Specific email domains: Enterprise admins can specify one or more email domains members are allowed to use with their Trello accounts in order to be on teams within the Enterprise.
At the time of team upgrade request, you will receive a warning about any team members that will be deactivated when the team is approved into the Enterprise, along with the ability to see a list of the team members.
If there are team members who will be deactivated when the team is added to the Enterprise that you want to remain on the team, they must first make sure they have an email address with an approved domain associated with their Trello account. You can accomplish this in one of two ways:
- [Recommended] Deactivate the team member from your team, and then have them create a new Trello account using an email address on an approved domain (contact your Enterprise admin if you’re unsure of which domains are approved). Re-add the member to your team using their new Trello account.
- Ask the team member to add an email address from an approved domain to their existing Trello account. See Changing, Adding, or Removing an Email Address.
Approving an upgrade
An Enterprise admin ("superadmin") can process requests by opening the Enterprise admin dashboard. From there, they can go to the “Pending” teams tab:
For each Pending team, Enterprise admins will be able to see:
- If approving the team will add new billable members to your Enterprise
- If there are any members on the team that don’t meet Enterprise security restrictions. These members will become deactivated from the team upon approval, thus being unable to join the Enterprise.
To learn more about editing team member restrictions for an Enterprise, see the “Team Membership Restrictions” section in Organization Wide Permissions.